Celebrate good times, come on'

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

||   Last week was the glorious american holiday that is Thanksgiving! It was our first time not being in the states and it feel like it. The strangest thing is when this day that you've celebrated for 27 years suddenly becomes a normal Thursday?! It just felt wrong.

Thankfully (no pun intended) some of our friends have an american relative and kindly invited us over for a Thanksgiving lunch on Saturday! Sweet potato and marshmallows, get in ma' belly..

One thing I've come to admire about this day (besides the carbs of course) is how it brings us all back together in a physical sense and also in an retrospective one. Sure, life is rough don't I know it too, but all across the country it's at the very least understood that on this day we all should sit and search out something we have to be thankful for.

Walking around on a rainy Thursday afternoon, no turkey, no pumpkin pie, no watching (american) football or the Macy's parade in my stretchy pants, no family plans, no getting a christmas tree from the woods as per tradition, no turkey coma, no normal nothing. My husband and I, we'd only just started to build up our holiday traditions and then just three years in we're already off breaking them..

Needless to say, almost every part of my being wanted to play pity party all day but ironically that in itself defeats the purpose of what the day offers. I'd like to think we're all consistently waking up thankful and content but until that becomes a reality, having a day that reminds us to all stop and say thanks is better than nothing.

But to be thankful, does that mean to be passive and unhindered by the questionable things of life? I don't believe so. To me, to be thankful is to be deliberate despite your circumstances. It was simpler to be thankful when the day was handed to me, we were surrounded by our family and food and all was precious and slow but what about when you're in a different place with different people and nothing, literally nothing is as it was? What then? Then, is when you give thanks all the same.

So with my hands held high not out of ease but out of reverence, trust and faith, I gave my thanks and aim to give it day by day. All that I am and have is more than I'm owed or deserve and that's surely something worth celebrating.   ||

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© arlina vanessa All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger